This blog is exactly what you've imagined it to be... It's ballsie & unfiltered! The central focus here is to disengage from your point of reference and therapeutically express, debate, and divulge on real life events that "make you feel some type of way".
29 March, 2014
Plagiarism: A Classy Form of Cheating
I’d like
to talk about the perception of plagiarism, which I find to be a fancier form
of cheating―despite the fact that each has its place in the Oxford dictionary.
As a matter of fact, I see a deep connection between plagiarism and cheating.
To succinctly clarify my correlation, Kurt Bouman briefly enlightens readers
that there isn’t any solid definition for the word plagiarism. Rather, its practices
includes: the intent or unintentional submission of anyone’s work or idea and
using technological devices to obtain information seeking to claim as your own without
giving credited to the rightful owner are deceptive acts of plagiarizers (Rafoth, 2005). In regards
to academic dishonesty, cheating is obtaining copies of quizzes, exams, and
tests from friends to use as your own or distribute to other. With these in
mind, I find plagiarism and cheating to be synonymous… for me they are equally
same.
Bouman explains
that culture is important as it leads to a collective group of various wisdom,
still Western academic rules expect students to develop their unique voices.
Another key point he highlights is teachers’ expectations, in how they prefer
writers to produce original pieces rather than “parrot ideas” to then regurgitate
those ideas on scantrons or terms papers. Accepting Bouman’s take in “Raising
Questions about Plagiarism” to be reasonable, I begin to evaluate my own
experience. I witness that professors do not respond as they should to cheating
on two separate occasions: while completing my education hours at a local high
schools and currently when testing in certain classes. During both occasions, I
discover students using their phones. Obviously, they are fishing through cyberspace
for answers during these exams and quizzes. At the high school I thought, a
disciplinary referral was going to be issued and parents were going to be
notified.
On the
contrary, the teacher walked to the student and quietly asked that she put
phone away. That day I said to myself, a great teaching moment was gone and it
cannot be replaced. In the same way, it seems like some college professors just
need to know that students are familiar with the materials they are teaching
because when they spot cheaters they tend to look away and still have the heart
to GIVE a grade that is not EARNED. I know somewhere down the line, cheaters
and plagiarizers alike will reap the consequences of their own labor. But in
the mean time I question, do my professors expect me to assess, think, and reason?
Howard Gardner, a professor Harvard once spoke on this issue and he quoted a
group who said, “We [the students]
want to be famous and successful, we think our colleagues are cutting corners,
we’ll be damned if we’ll lose out to them.” So in other words, am I missing the
mark?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment