19 April, 2014

When Writings are Reader Centered?


When I first gather my thoughts for a blog post, one of the first things I do is structure my ideas around something I've experienced rather than focusing on something interesting that readers will enjoy. Then, right before I finalize my blog post, however, I’ll manipulate my perspectives with the hopes that it will relate to readers.

Ultimately, I sat down and really consider one of my reflective blog drafts and several questions came to mind. Will readers find the content interesting and get into it? Will it be received as worthwhile to readers seeking to savor the existence of time? But most importantly, is this piece of writing reader centered?

As an avid blog reader, I realize that many readers are minimally interested in ones experiences and/or accomplishments (especially on social networks) if they can’t find what the blog post means to them. Readers, including me, immerse in blog posts for its fresh diverse knowledge and concepts. And a lot of times, a reader may be in search of a soothing tone or a unique voice, if they’re a new blogger. Or they might be seeking for a solution to use as a teaching moment to a crafty project.

So, while readers welcome the personal touch in articles, spewing out too much personality (as this was the issue with my post) will bore and scare readers away. Dr. James Pennebaker, who explores expressive writing, along with other colleagues following his findings, determined that during the writing process, the patterns of our brain waves and the levels of conductivity in our skin changes―all contributing to the writers well being. Thus, knowing that writing is found to have drastic effects on the body how might flowery descriptions be received? 

No comments:

Post a Comment